Who doesn’t love travel quotes?! They’re a little slice of inspiration perfect for any situation. Whether you’re planning for a trip, recovering from a trip, battling post-trip blues or are just looking for a little something to give you a boost, there’s a travel quote out there that can speak to whatever you need.
There are travel quotes about journeys, travel quotes about self discovery, adventure quotes (check out my dedicated post full of adventure quotes here), and – my favorite – travel quotes that inspire you to live life to the fullest (they are the true wolderlust quotes!) – with a couple of travel tips thrown in for good measure! Ready for a little wanderlust inspiring pick me up? Of course you are!
90 Inspirational Travel Quotes to Fuel Your Wanderlust
1: “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
2: “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage” – Paulo Coelho
3: “Wherever you go, go with all your heart” – Confucius (wise words from the Chinese philosopher.)
4: “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
5: “Oh Darling, Let’s Be Adventurers.” I just love this! and I think it is one of the best quotes about wanderlust and love.
6. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
7. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman
8: “I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself.” – James Baldwin (Meeting new people while traveling is one of the best bits.)
9. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
10. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
11: “Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times”
12: “Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”
13: “Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times” – Asian Proverb (for me, the place that springs to mind for this travel quotes is Christmas Island. Where would it be for you?)
14: “Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted.”
15: “Never go too long without watching a sunset” – Atticus
16: “The journey not the arrival matters.” – T.S. Eliot
17: “Wanderlust: n. a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world”
Famous Travel Quotes
18. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
19. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”― Sarah Frances Brown, mother of author H Jackson Brown (but is often incorrectly attributed to Mark Twain – although I don’t think Mark Twain would complain!)
20: “The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens (don’t you think he has coined one of the most amazing travelling captions.)
21: “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
Short Travel Quotes
22: “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
23: “All you need to know is that it’s possible.” – Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker (one of the true original traveller quote)
24: “It feels good to be lost in the right direction”
25: “The best view comes after the hardest climb” – Unknown
26: “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen (couldn’t agree with you more Hans Christian and really reminds me how great it is to travel the world)
27: “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
28: “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty (This one is one of my favorite travelling quotes – and one of the reasons I made the above graphic!)
29: “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.”
30: “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
The Best Travel Quotes for Inspiration
31: “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert
32: “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – John Green
33: “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
34: “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
35: “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his own, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
Travel the World Quotes
36. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta (a top travel quote if ever I saw one!)
38. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo (this is one of the most epic old world traveling quotes!)
39. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”
40. “If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.” – Paul Coelho
41: “Live your life by a compass not a clock.” – Stephen Covey
42: “If you want to go somewhere you like but no one else wants to, go by yourself. You’ll meet people with similar interests as you.” – Unknown
43: “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
44: “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” – Oscar Wilde
45: “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama (don’t you think he gave us one of the most famous travel quotes of all time?!)
Quotes on Travelling + More Awesome Travel Quotes
46. “Oh the places you’ll go.” -Dr. Seuss
47. “Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aesop
48. “A ship in a harbor is safe, but it not what ships are built for.” – John A. Shedd
49. “Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure.”
Whimsical Wanderlust Quotes + Adventure Quotes for Travel Inspiration!
50. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
51. “Collect Moment, Not Things.”
52. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous
53. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself” -David Mitchell
54. “Work, Travel, Save, Repeat” (I think this just sums up my everyday travelling status!)
55. “Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return.”
Inspirational Travel Quotes + Inspirational Quotes about Adventures
56. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener (Don’t ignore the customs – they are some of the best bits about traveling! And if you reject the food, you’re just going to go hungry! Staying home could be considered as ‘money saving’ – but what good is money over experiences?)
57. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
58. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” Don’t you think this is one of the most awesome trip quotes?!)
59. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
60. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag (She really did give us one of the great travel captions and exploring quotes of all time, don’t you think?)
61. “Travel is only glamorous in retrospect” – Paul Theroux (I think My Africa Outtakes are the perfect example of this – because they certainly weren’t glamorous at the time! Thanks for the reminder Paul Theroux!)
62. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou (another fantastic wander quote – so inspiring!)
63. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
64. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure, self-determined, self-motivated, often risky, forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world” – Mark Jenkins
65. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends.
You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese (what a great travel quote to get you out of your comfort zone and help you understand what travel is all about!)
66. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
67. “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to” – Alain de Botton
68. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” – Ray Bradbury
69. “A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.” – Pico Iyer (this one is a relatively obscure travel sayings but still so true!)
70. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” – Marty Rubin
71. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz
72. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
73. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson (another of my own personal fave wander quotes – there are so many on this list!)
74. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu
75. “The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adventure Travel Inspiration
76. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” – Robert Louis Stevenson – This is one of my favorite quotes about travelling – and made all the more pronounced since my visit to the Robert Louis Stevenson museum in Samoa!
77. “Life is short and the world is wide.”
78. “It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.” – Henry David Thoreau
79. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference” – Robert Frost (hopefully this one gives you a bit of inspiration to get out of your comfort zone!)
80. “We wander for distraction but we travel for fulfillment” – Hilaire Belloc
81. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust. (Another one of my favorites – This is such a fantastic quote about travel!)
82. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
83. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
84. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world” – Freya Stark
85. “Traveling’s not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like Breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
86. “But that’s the glory of foreign travel, as far as I am concerned. I don’t want to know what people are talking about. I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.” – Bill Bryson
87. “One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things” – Henry Miller
88. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware” – Martin Buber
89. “I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are. Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.” – Benjamin Disraeli
90. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live” – Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter) – this isn’t really one of the most famous travel captions, but who doesn’t love a good movie quote?!
91. “Don’t ask for security, ask for adventure. Better to live 30 years full of adventure than a 100 years safe” – Jim Rohn
92. “Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia” – Charles M. Schulz (Book me a ticket to Australia now!)
93. “One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure” – Anonymous
94. “Add life to your days, not days to your life” – Unknown
95. “The potential for adventure makes life worth living” – Vicki Garside @MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld (yup, it’s my own travel quote! I’ve said this to people for years and thought it was time to make it official and add it to the list and make a pretty graphic for it! It’s certainly one of the most unique quotes about travel and adventure out there that’s for sure, and one I live my life by!)
96. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
97. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
98. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
99. “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
100. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
Did you realize that according to Google there are some travel quote related frequently asked questions?! Well, there are..
WHAT IS THE BEST ‘WHY DO WE TRAVEL’ QUOTE?
I read this as much less of a quote request, rather a desire to know why we travel. This can be wildly different for each person but reasons to travel include:
- To learn
- To challenge yourself
- To expand your perspective
- To appreciate life
- To discover more about and get in touch with yourself
- To build or strengthen relationships
- To have an adventure
- To relax
- To celebrate
- To escape
In line with this, I would recommend the following quotes to fit perfectly into the why do we travel quote request category:
- “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
- “Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted.” – Anonymous
- “The potential for adventure makes life worth living” – Vicki Garside
WHAT IS THE BEST QUOTE?
Oh boy, that’s a tough one; as every travel quote speaks to people differently. To that end, my highlights and I think the quotes to inspire the most from this list are
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust.
- “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert
- “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
- “One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things” – Henry Miller
HOW DO YOU WISH SOMEONE A SAFE TRIP?
Sooo, not altogether relevant to the ‘travel quotes’ query google, but we’ll give it a go:
- Bon Voyage!
- Safe Travels! (and other short travel quotes)
- May your journey be free from stress and bring you home safely!
WHO SAID WE TRAVEL NOT TO ESCAPE LIFE?
“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” was a quote believed by some to have been uttered by Robyn Yong, but as there appears to be no general consensus on the matter it is often attributed to ‘Anonymous’
I hope you have enjoyed these inspiring quotes about travel and travel resources and are looking forward to exploring our wonderful world. And let me know what your favorite travel quote is in the comments below!
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THESE TRAVEL RESOURCES QUOTES AND IF YOU ARE READY MORE TRAVEL INSPIRATION, YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THESE RELATED POSTS, RECENT ARTICLES, TRAVEL HACKS AND TRAVEL TIPS POSTS:
- Group Tours: See more in less time – the Ultimate Guide to The Best Group Tours on Every Continent (and you’ll be ready for some tour quotes after reading!)
- Awesome Winter Sports Destinations: The Best Places to Ski in the Northern Hemisphere
- Amazing Africa: Check out the Best Places To Visit in Africa and start exploring this incredible continent (including safety tips!)
- Festivals: Festival Fan? You’ll love these Incredible Festivals From Around the World
- Sri Lanka: The Best Places to Visit in Sri Lanka & 8 STUNNING UNESCO Heritage Sites
- UK: Be Sure to visit London & Edinburgh on your trip to the United Kingdom!
– Or head to our pages on South Africa, North America, Costa Ricas or the Middle East for heaps of travel inspiration, money saving tips and road trips!
- Mountain Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure + Powerful Ocean Quotes to Help You Appreciate Mother Nature.
Hi There! Thanks for reading our post about the Best Travel Quotes, Travel Phrases and The Most Inspiring Quotes on the Planet! I just wanted to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking a link, I may get a small commission – which is at absolutely no cost to you. If you enjoyed this article and are going to be searching for some of the things I mention anyway, I would love it if you could click through from the links above & thank you in advance! Read my full Disclosure here.
And THANK YOU for reading the MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld Travel Blog.