Who doesn’t love travel quotes?! They’re a little slice of inspiration perfect for any situation. Whether you’re planning for a trip, recovering from a trip, battling post-trip blues or are just looking for a little something to give you a boost, there’s a quote out there that can speak to whatever you need.
There are travel quotes about journeys, travel quotes about self discovery, adventure quotes (check out my dedicated post full of adventure quotes here), and – my favorite – travel quotes that inspire you to live life to the fullest (true wolderlust quotes!) – with a couple of travel tips thrown in for good measure! Ready for a little wanderlust inspiring pick me up? Of course you are!
75 Inspirational Travel Quotes to Fuel Your Wanderlust
1. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
2. “Oh Darling, Let’s Be Adventurers.” is one of the best quotes about wanderlust.
3. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
4. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman
5. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
6. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
7. “Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times”
8. “Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”
9. “Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted.”
10. “The journey not the arrival matters.” – T.S. Eliot
11. “Wanderlust: n. a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world”
Famous Travel Quotes
12. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
13. “All you need to know is that it’s possible.” – Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker
14. “The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens has coined an amazing travelling caption.
15. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty This one is one of my favorite travelling quotes.
Short Travel Quotes
16. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
17. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”― Mark Twain
18. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction”
19. “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
20. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
21. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
22. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
23. “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
Best Travel Quotes
24. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” -Gustav Flaubert
25. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – John Green
26. “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.”
27. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
Travel the world quotes
28. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
29. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo is one of the most epic old world traveling quotes!
30. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”
31. “If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.” – Paul Coelho
32. “Live your life by a compass not a clock.” – Stephen Covey
33. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
34. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” – Oscar Wilde
35. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama gave us one of the most famous travel quotes
Quotes on Travel / Awesome Travel Quotes
36. “Oh the places you’ll go.” -Dr. Seuss
37. “Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aesop
38. “A ship in a harbor is safe, but it not what ships are built for.” -John A. Shedd
39. “Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure.”
Adventure Quotes / wanderlust quotes
40. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
41. “Collect Moment, Not Things.”
42. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous
43. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself” -David Mitchell
44. “Work, Travel, Save, Repeat”
45. “Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return.”
Inspirational Travel Quotes/ Inspirational quotes
46. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
47. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
48. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” This is one of the most awesome trip quotes!
49. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
50. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag gave us one of the great travel captions and exploring quotes.
51. “Travel is only glamorous in retrospect” – Paul Theroux
52. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou gave us a fantastic wander quote.
53. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
54. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure, self-determined, self-motivated, often risky, forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world” – Mark Jenkins
55. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends.
You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
56. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
57. “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to” – Alain de Botton
58. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” – Ray Bradbury
59. “A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.” – Pico Iyer – a relatively obscure travel sayings but still so true!
60. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” – Marty Rubin
61. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz
62. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
63. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
64. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu
65. “The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adventure Travel Inspiration
66. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” – Robert Louis Stevenson
67. “Life is short and the world is wide.”
68. “It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.” – Henry David Thoreau
69. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference” – Robert Frost
70. “We wander for distraction but we travel for fulfillment” – Hilaire Belloc
Travel Resources Quotes
71. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust. This is such a fantastic quote about travel!
72. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
73. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
74. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world” – Freya Stark
75. “Traveling’s not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like Breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
READY MORE TRAVEL INSPIRATION? YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THESE ARTICLES
- Group Tours: See more in less time – the Best Group Tours on Every Continent
- Awesome Winter Sports Destinations: The Best Places to Ski in the Northern Hemisphere
- Amazing Africa: Check out the Best Places To Visit in Africa and start exploring this incredible continent.
- Festivals: Festival Fan? You’ll love these Incredible Festivals From Around the World
And if 75 travel quotes and quotes for travel are not enough to keep you going, check out this list of 100 Inspiring Travel quotes from my travel blog friends over at Adventure in You! And if you’d like a pretty pin for any of the awesome travel quotes above, just let me know in the comments below!
Vicki is the Lawyer turned Content Creator, Editor-in-Chief and all round Boss Lady at MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld.
She has lived and worked in 7 different countries and started the site to show everyone that it is possible to travel whilst holding down a full time job (because not everyone can – or wants to – quit and walk away from it all).
Her style of travel has always been to get the best out of a destination as a time poor traveler making the most of limited vacation days and all without breaking the bank; BUT she does know where to save and where to splurge to have the most incredible travel experiences – such as luxury hotels and over-water bungalows, safaris, spas and more(!) – where the situation calls for it.
If you join the work to travel revolution, follow MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram – and if you are a travel brand who would like to find out how to work with Vicki, contact her here.