Covering 71 percent of the beautiful earth’s surface, our oceans offer all of us out there who love an adventure, the chance to explore somewhere new and magical – and we hope these 55 beautiful Ocean Quotes can inspire you to do just that!
Despite the vast coverage of our oceans, only 5 percent of this watery underworlds have ever been explored yet are home to more life than anywhere else on the planet. It’s also important to remember that these beautiful and delicate ecosystems are in need of our help. In a world that is filled with pollution and waste, our oceans are the ones that are now suffering.
For centuries the ocean has inspired some of the greatest creatives that ever lived. Their origins unknown, it only makes them even more magical to us and if we could spend all day gazing at photos of the ocean, we quite easily would!
So, if like us you are in love with the ocean and love nothing more than a holiday by the sea, you are going to want to sit back and read our rundown of the top 55 Ocean quotes that will not only leave you feeling chilled out and inspired but will also hopefully remind us all just how important our amazing oceans truly are.
Disclaimer: Almost all posts on this site contain Affiliate links, and this one about the the 50+ most inspiring Ocean Quotes of all time is no different. This means that if you click on any of the links in this post (and make a purchase) I may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Each post is carefully crafted to (hopefully!) answer all your questions and recommendations are made where we believe they will improve your trip and help with your planning. As such we thank you in advance should you decide to click & buy. Read my full Disclosure here.
55 Beautiful Ocean Quotes to Inspire
1. “She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” – Holly Black
2. “They say home is where the heart is. For most people, that consists of four walls and a welcome mat. But for me, it’s the ocean” – Unknown
3. “Each kiss of an ocean wave is passed along, as long as there is life on and in the seas.” – Anthony T. Hincks
(this is one of the most beautiful ocean sayings in the world)
5. “Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.” – H. P. Lovecraft
6. “Hark now hear the sailors cry, Smell the seas and feel the sky, let your soul and spirit fly” – Van Morrison
Inspirational Quotes about the Ocean
7. “If the ocean can calm itself, so can you. We are both salt water mixed with air.” – Nayyirah Waheed
(IMHO this is one of the most motivational quotes and inspirational quotes on the list)
8. “You only need to stand near the ocean to feel the power of the universe and a closeness to the one who created it.” – Susan Gale
9. “The ocean is a mighty harmonist.” – William Wordsworth
10. “While inner beauty stays permanent like an ocean. By all means, hold strong to your inner beauty.” – Edmond Mbiaka
11. “What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.” – Werner Herzog
Long Ocean Quotes
12. “There was a magic about the sea. People were drawn to it. People wanted to love by it, swim in it, play in it, look at it. It was a living thing that was as unpredictable as a great stage actor: it could be calm and welcoming, opening its arms to embrace it’s audience one moment, but then could explode with its stormy tempers, flinging people around, wanting them out, attacking coastlines, breaking down islands.” – Cecelia Ahern
13. “The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can’t.” – Christopher Paolini
14. “If we look at the ocean in a calm, there is something imposing in its aspect; stretched out in its sleeping tranquillity, but looking fearfully deep, and its silence seems like that of the lion when crouching for its prey.” – Jenny M Parker
15. “To me the sea is a continual miracle; the fishes that swim, the rocks, the motion of the waves, the ships with men in them. What stranger miracles are there?” – Walt Whitman
Couldn’t agree with you more Walt Whitman – the ocean is a miracle we should do everything we can to protect.
16. “For her the ocean was more than a dream, it was a place she needed to visit to find herself. And when she returned to the city, you could see the sun in her eyes, the wind in her hair, and taste in the infinite salt on her lips.” – Jose Chaves
17. “There’s nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you’ve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.” – Dave Barry
Life Quotes inspired by the Ocean
18. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “The ocean is everything I want to be. Beautiful, mysterious, wild, and free.” – Unknown
20. “The calming movement of the sea along with the restless ocean breeze gently caresses me creating a soothing trance which lulls me to a place of peace.” – M. L. Borges, By The Sea
21. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” – Rumi
22. “For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it’s always ourselves we find in the sea.” – e.e. cummings
23. “I couldn’t imagine living in a state that didn’t reach the ocean. It was a giant reset button. You could go to the edge of the land and see infinity and feel renewed.” – Avery Sawyer (this is one of my favorite ocean sayings)
24. “I love the ocean. I’ve always liked the blue, so tranquil and peaceful and gliding. And the fear of it.” – Siouxsie Sioux
Short Ocean Quotes
25. “You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore” – Unknown
26. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” – Jacques Cousteau
27. “The ocean made me salty.” – Unknown
28. “Every time I slip into the ocean, it’s like going home.” – Sylvia Earle
29. “By protecting our oceans, we are preserving them for the next generation to enjoy” – Unknown
30. “A pool just isn’t the same as the ocean. It has no energy. No life.” – Linda Gerber
31. “The waves of the sea help me get back to me.” – Jill Davis
Famous Quotes about the Ocean
32. “And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch – we are going back from whence we came.” – John F. Kennedy
33. “I have always been fascinated by the ocean, to dip a limb beneath its surface and know that I’m touching eternity, that it goes on forever until it begins here again.” – Lauren DeStefano
34. “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” – Mother Theresa (such words of wisdom)
35. “Little drops of water, Little grains of sand, Make the mighty ocean and the pleasant land.
So the little moments, humble though they be, make the mighty ages of eternity.
So the little errors lead the soul away, from the paths of virtue far in sin to stray.
Little deeds of kindness, Little words of love, Help to make earth happy, Like the Heaven above.” – Terry Hogan
36. “Even castles made from sand fall to the ocean.” – Jimi Hendrix
(I think this is one of the most famous quotes in the list!)
37. “The ocean makes me feel really small and it makes me put my whole life into perspective… it humbles you and makes you feel almost like you’ve been baptized. I feel born again when I get out of the ocean.” – Beyoncé Knowles
38. “The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.” – Enya
39. “My mother told me I had a chameleon soul. No moral compass pointing due north, no fixed personality. Just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean.” – Lana Del Rey
40. “There’s nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you’ve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.” – Dave Barry
41. “As endless as the ocean, as timeless as the tides” – words of wisdom from an Unknown Author”
42. “Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean.” – Christopher Reeve
Quotes about Love & the Ocean
43. “The person you think of when you stand in front of the ocean. That’s the person you’re in love with.” – Colleen Michele
44. “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.” – Titanic (this one is often my quote of the day!)
45. “Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.” – Sarah Kay
46. “Together we can face any challenges as deep as the ocean and as high as the sky.” – Sonia Gandhi
47. “Sometimes in the waves of change we find our true direction” – Unknown (this could be considered a bit of a sad love quotes don’t you think?!)
48. “Summer is calling me with the music of an ocean breeze. I must go dance with the waves of love.” – Debasish Mridha
49. “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.” – Kate Chopin
Ocean Inspired Beach Quotes
50. “I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought.” – Helen Keller
51. “The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach”. – Henry Beston
52. “The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
53. “At the beach, life is different. Time doesn’t move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun.” – Anonymous (I think this sums up the perfect beach day!)
54. “My life is like a stroll upon the beach, as near to the ocean’s edge as I can go” – Henry David Thoreau
55. “Our life is but a grain of sand in the indifferent ocean of infinity.” –
If the ocean is where you are heading to on your travel adventures this year, we hope our collection of ocean quotes has inspired you even more. To not only admire and respect but also ignite a desire to protect this unique natural world for generations to come.
Be sure to let us know in the comments below what ocean you are headed to, whether it’s surfing in the pacific ocean or diving in the Indian ocean. We want to know the reasons why you are in love with the ocean just like us and we would love to know what your quote of the day is!
And if you’d like to see more travel quotes or word play posts just like this one (maybe smile quotes, addiction quotes or just general life quotes?) whatever you think could help you get through something – just let us know and we will try and whip something up for you!
Oh and if you liked this post, please share on social media: tweet, pin, flipboard or Facebook – I’d really appreciate it!
READY MORE TRAVEL INSPIRATION? YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THESE ARTICLES
- Group Tours: See more in less time – the Best Group Tours on Every Continent
- Awesome Winter Sports Destinations: The Best Places to Ski in the Northern Hemisphere
- Amazing Africa: Check out the Best Places To Visit in Africa and start exploring this incredible continent.
- Festivals: Festival Fan? You’ll love these Incredible Festivals From Around the World
- Be Prepared: The Best Carry On For Travel (tested on most airlines!) PLUS 40 Insanely Useful Backpacking Essentials to make sure you have everything you need once you’ve been inspired by our inspiration quote series!
Hi There! Thanks for reading my travel tips for the Best Ocean Quotes about travel & the Ultimate list of ocean quotes to Inspire you to get out and see and protect our Amazing Planet! I just wanted to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking a link, I may get a small commission – which is at absolutely no cost to you.
If you enjoyed this article and are going to be searching for some of the things I mention anyway, I would love it if you could click through from the links above & thank you in advance! Read my full Disclosure here. And thank you for reading the MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld travel blog.