As the world starts to open up, please be responsible and stay safe. And if you are not ready to start exploring yet that is OK too and we've got 17 Ways to 'Travel' from Home, 40 Travel Movies to Fuel Your Wanderlust and the 30 Best Travel Books to help you see the world from your couch!
So, you’re all set for your big road trip. You’ve planned your route, packed the car and are ready to hit the highway with a top road-tripping companion. But there’s one vital element that makes any road trip perfect: a top road trip playlist packed with epic road trip songs to help make for an amazing adventure and hopefully leaving you with memories that last a lifetime.
We’re pretty sure we have collated a list of the BEST road trip songs, so no matter if you prefer classics like Steppenwolf’s Born To Be Wild or something a little more mellow like Lana Del Rey, we’ve got you covered with our countdown of the top 50+ roadtrip songs to help you create the ultimate road trip playlist.
Disclaimer: Almost all posts on this site contain Affiliate links. This means that if you click on any of the links in this post (and make a purchase) I may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Each post is carefully crafted to (hopefully!) answer all your questions and recommendations are made where we believe they will improve your trip and help with your planning. As such we thank you in advance should you decide to click & buy. Read my full Disclosure here.
50+ Crowd Pleasing Road Trip Songs to help make the Ultimate Road Trip Playlist!
Classic Road trip songs you won’t be able to help but sing along to
- I’m So Excited – The Pointer Sisters
When you hit the road and put your foot on the gas we can’t think of a better song get to you in the road trip spirit.
- Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac
The perfect lyrics for your adventurous road trip, especially when it’s time to throw caution to the wind and go your own way Stevie Nicks style!
- We Didn’t Start The Fire – Billy Joel
If you don’t know the words to this epic road trip songs, now is the time to learn!
- Paradise City – Guns N’ Roses
You know it’s time for this hard rock classic when you’ve finally found your paradise city during your travels.
- Don’t Stop Me Now and/or Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
Who could stop you when you’ve got these epic rock songs pounding out your speakers?! (I’d vote for both too!)
- Born to be Wild – Steppenwolf
We mentioned this hit in our intro to this guide and we’ll mention it again because it’s a true classic, has a fantastic driving beat and your playlist wouldn’t be complete without it.
- Hotel California – The Eagles
“On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair..” will you end up in your own Hotel California?! (this is also one of my favorite songs of all time – those guitar riffs!)
- I Love Rock n Roll – The Black Jets
Not only is this a great sing-along but if you do love rock n roll it’s going to be your fave road trip hit
- Waterloo – Abba
How could we compile a classic road trip playlist without a bit of Abba!?
- Summer Loving – Grease
When the sun is shining and you have a travel buddy to sing along with, Grease is our go-to soundtrack.
- Start Me Up – The Rolling Stones
And I can’t Get No Satisfaction – two of the best road trip songs on the planet!
- When the Going gets tough – Billy Ocean
You are likely to feel the pressure on any road trip, we feel you! So when the going gets tough, whack this song on the stereo.
- I Drove all night – Roy Orbison
We’re not suggesting you drive all night but for when there’s a long road ahead, this song is here for you.
- Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
This 1974 hit is an obvious choice for your all-American road trip.
- Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Carlisle
The no.1 song to put on when you finally come across your true heaven on earth
- Like a Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
- River Deep, Mountain High – Tina Turner
What road trip would be complete without a bit of Tina Turner, especially when you have some winding roads to tackle.
- In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins
A song to pop on when you need something a little more soothing to leave you feeling chilled out when the traffic is getting to you this beautiful love song is just what you need.
- ABC – Jackson 5
It’s a feel-good classic we all love and one nobody can resist singing along to.
- Redemption Song – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Take me Home, Country Roads – John Denver
Something a little nostalgic for when it’s time to head on home.
- Highway to Hell – ACDC
We hope you don’t end up on the highway to hell, but rocking out to this would certainly make the journey more fun!
- I Get Around – Beach Boys
Such a perfect road trip song & an epic addition to a summer road trip playlist.
- Life is a Highway by Tom Cochrane
Although I am partial to the Rascall Flatts version myself. Both because it’s Disney & Country; and I’m a Disney geek who loves country music at heart.
- Midnight Rider – Allman Brothers Band
- Little Red Corvette – Prince
You can’t have a road trip playlist without including a song about a little red corvette – I mean, what an epic car for a road trip!
- Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
No matter how far you are going, this Bruce Springsteen classic is one of the great driving songs for any length of journey. Baby you were born to run!!
- Ticket To Ride – The Beatles
Any Beatles song is great road trip fodder, so I’d also go ahead and include Hey Jude, Yellow Submarine or She Loves You too!
- Small Town – John Mellencamp
- I would walk 500 Miles – The Proclaimers
Ok, so not quite a song about driving – but if you’re going to walk 500 miles, that’s dedication to a road trip!
- On The Road Again – Willie Nelson
For car and road puns, this Willie Nelson song is pretty self explanatory!
- American Pie – Don Mclean
“A long long time ago, I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile…” and I know you know the rest of the words!
- Fast Car – Tracy Chapman
Smooth and sultry, Tracy’s voice can help pass the time in the car – even if your only in the parking lot!
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
Perfect for any occasion, this song should be included on any playlist on the planet!
- Hit the Road Jack – Ray Charles
A classic, this is the perfect song to play on a roadtrip.
- Running on Empty – Jackson Browne
Although I hope your vehicle doesn’t end up running on empty!
- Free Fallin’ or Running Down a Dream – Tom Petty
No playlist would be complete without these two Tom Petty classics.
Modern-day roadtrip songs that will make you turn up the volume
- It’s a Beautiful Day – Michael Buble
Because what day isn’t a beautiful day when you’re on a road trip adventure of a lifetime!
- Road Trippin’ – Red Hot Chili Peppers
An obvious choice for your road trip playlist but it’s a soothing hit that is one for when you just need to chill out and reflect
- Happy – Pharell Williams
It was the biggest song of the year and still doesn’t fail to make us feel anything but happy!
- On Top Of The World – Imagine Dragons
This song will have you singing out to the steering wheel as you cruise down the road on a summer day. It’s perfect, happy, feel good, road trip music.
- Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore
For when you are getting pumped for a night on the town after a long days drive (just don’t forget to keep your hands on the wheel).
- Save The World Tonight – Swedish House Mafia
For all the dancing in the car vibes, this is one of those road trip songs to sing your heart out to!
- Rolling In The Deep – Adele
Sing your heart out with Adele by your side as you hit the highway. This is one of my best road trip songs!
- Castle on the Hill – Ed Sheeran
Oh Ed how we love you, especially when we are driving down those country lanes!
- All the Small Things – Blink 182
Depending on how old you are, this hit may already be a classic… but who cares, it’s a top song to sing your heart out to.
- The Dog Days Are Over – Florence + The Machine
When you need a release and need that little bit of inspiration during your road trip, Florence is there for you.
- Monster – The Automatic
We hope you won’t come across a monster on your road trip but you know what song to play if you do!
- Truckin – Grateful Dead
- Stole the Show – Kygo ft. Parson James
To be honest any Kygo song is an ideal chillout option for your road trip playlist but we love this one as a feel-good number.
- Single Ladies – Beyoncé
For when you’re on a road trip with the girls, it’s the one and only Queen Bey all the way!
- California Gurls – Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg
“You could travel the world but nothing comes close to the golden coast”
- Where The Streets Have No Name – U2
- Gold Digger – Kanye West
Or for another of Kanye Wests hits, you could substitute this for Jesus Walks
- Shotgun – George Ezra
When it’s time to ride shotgun, put on some George Ezra – it’s the perfect sing-a-long song for a girls road trip playlist.
- I Will Wait – Mumford and Sons
Embrace your inner folk when you sing along with Marcus Mumford & Co.
- Oops!…I Did It Again – Britney Spears
We certainly won’t be apologizing for including Britney in our playlist because a road trip isn’t worth going on without her.
- Shut up and Drive – Rhianna
You tell them RiRi!
- Let Me Ride – Dr Dre
It’s a road trip anthem, and what road trip playlist would be complete without a bit of 90s rap?!
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
Heading out on an adventure with your girls? This is the song for you.
- Keep the Car Running – Arcade Fires
- Cruel World – Lana Del Rey
A 90s classic, I dare you not to sing-a-long!
- A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton
Because you could indeed be driving a thousand miles, and who wouldn’t want to sing about that?!
- Everyday is a Winding Road – Sheryl Crow
Because songs about the open road to nowhere make perfect sense on any road trip playlist!
So how did we do? Aren’t these just the greatest songs for the perfect road trip playlist!? Whether we’ve reminded you of some amazing driving songs and road trip classics or introduced you to some brand new road trip songs, we hope they are just the start of your next amazing road trip!
Where are you headed on your road trip this year? Do you already have a road trip songs playlists in mind that we have added to? Are you journeying around your home-country or exploring pastures new? Tell us in the comments below, along with your all-time favorite no.1 road trip song and if it’s not already on our list, we cant wait to hear it!
And if you liked this road trip playlist, take a look at the other recent posts, travel resources, travel guides, ultimate guides and packing lists in this series:
- The Ultimate Road Trip Packing List – keeping you and your care happy, entertained & healthy on the road
- The Ultimate Ski Trip Packing List – packed full of ski essentials to help you have the best time on the piste
- How to Pack for Iceland (in Summer OR Winter) – Iceland can be cold and unpredictable, but our list will have you covered whatever season you plan to visit.
- Get Eco Friendly on your travels: The Best Solid Toiletries (that you can take in your carry on) and Eco-Friendly Gifts for travel lovers.
- Travel Gear: Travel Backpacks & Carry On Luggage, travel tripods, camera backpacks & travel yoga mats!
- Get ready for the World’s favorite shopping holiday: Black Friday Deals for Travel 2020
- Get Inspired! Mountain Quotes, Beach Quotes & Ocean Quotes!!
Hi There! Thanks for reading my buying guide, travel tips and travel gear guide to 50+ Best Road Trip Songs to help create the Ultimate Road Trip Playlist (packed with good road trip songs!) – I just wanted to let you know that this post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking a link, I may get a small commission – which is at absolutely no cost to you. If you enjoyed this article and are going to be searching for some of the things I mention anyway, I would love it if you could click through from the links above & thank you in advance! Read my full Disclosure here.
And Thank you for reading the MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld travel blog posts.
Vicki is the Lawyer turned Content Creator, Editor-in-Chief and all round Boss Lady at MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld.
She has lived and worked in 7 different countries and started the site to show everyone that it is possible to travel whilst holding down a full time job (because not everyone can – or wants to – quit and walk away from it all).
Her style of travel has always been to get the best out of a destination as a time poor traveler making the most of limited vacation days and all without breaking the bank; BUT she does know where to save and where to splurge to have the most incredible travel experiences – such as luxury hotels and over-water bungalows, safaris, spas and more(!) – where the situation calls for it.
If you want to join the work to travel revolution, follow MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram – and if you are a travel brand who would like to find out how to work with Vicki, contact her here.