As the world starts to open up, please be responsible and stay safe. And if you are not ready to start exploring yet that is OK too and we've got 17 Ways to 'Travel' from Home, 40 Travel Movies to Fuel Your Wanderlust and the 30 Best Travel Books to help you see the world from your couch!
If you are anything like me, it’s always wonderful to escape the rat race and get back to nature. One of my favorite places to enjoy a little bit of me time and embrace the outdoors is a trip to the mountains. And the next best thing when I can’t get out there is to read through my favorite Mountain Quotes as each and every one can take me back into the wilderness with just a few words.
For any of you who enjoy a weekend hike or have set yourself the challenge of climbing some of the world’s highest peaks, you will appreciate what a unique wilderness the mountains can be. Packed with spectacular fauna and wildlife galore, it’s hard not to be inspired when you make time to visit various peaks around the world. So if you’ve got a No. 1 mountain or just love a good climb we think our compilation of the 56 greatest mountain quotes about these unique landscapes is going to be just the ticket for an inspiring read, coupled with a heart-warming cup of tea.
Disclaimer: Almost all posts on this site contain Affiliate links, and this one about the the 56 most inspiring Mountain Quotes of all time is no different. This means that if you click on any of the links in this post (and make a purchase) I may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Each post is carefully crafted to (hopefully!) answer all your questions and recommendations are made where we believe they will improve your trip and help with your planning. As such we thank you in advance should you decide to click & buy. Read my full Disclosure here.
Table of Contents
- 1 55 Mountain Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure!
55 Mountain Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure!
Quotes About Mountains to Ignite Your Wanderlust
1. “Accidents on big mountains happen when people’s ambitions cloud their good judgment. Good climbing is about climbing with heart and with instinct, not ambition and pride.” – Bear Grylls
2. “I love to sit on a mountain top and gaze. I don’t think of anything but the people I care about and the view.” – Julian Lennon
3. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” – Greg Child
4. “The cliche is that life is a mountain. You go up, reach the top and then go down.” – Jeanne Moreau
5. “There are far better things ahead than the ones we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis (not quite a ‘true’ mountain quote, this one might be better on my travel quotes page or even listed in my inspirational adventure quotes – but I love it anyway!)
6. “Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.” – Theodore Roethke
7. “I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees” – Henry David Thoreau (when was the last time you took a walk in the woods?!)
Short Mountain Quotes
8. “Go where you feel most alive” – Unknown
9. “I learn something every time I go into the mountains.” – Michael Kennedy
10. “Climbing is my art; I get so much joy and gratification from it.” – Jimmy Chin
11. “Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.” – Dag Hammerskjold
12. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
John Muir cerainly coined one of the most inspirational quotes on mountains – and it makes for a great Instagram caption!
13. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” – Friedrich Neitszche
14. “Hike more. Worry Less.” – Unknown
15. “Every man should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life.” – Werner Herzog
16. “How wild it was, to let it be.” – Cheryl Strayed
17. “Human life is far more important than just getting to the top of a mountain.” – Edmund Hillary
18. “The best view comes after the hardest climb.” – Unknown
19. “I go to seek a great perhaps” – John Green
20. “Our peace shall stand as firm as rocky mountains.” – William Shakespeare
21. “I think, every time I’m on the mountain, I’m just so thankful to be there.” – Chloe Kim
Mountain Quotes + Mountain Captions from books & novels
(The authors and books listed below are packed with lots of inspiration quotes, life lessons and general wisdom. I’ve linked the booked on Amazon in case you’re feeling super inspired by any of them or want to read some of these incredible works. These are affiliate links, which I may receive a small commission – at no cost to you – on should you decide to purchase (honestly, it’s pennies) – but I thank you in advance should you decide to click and buy.)
22. “To aim for the highest point is not the only way to climb a mountain.” – Nan Shepherd, The Living Mountain
23. “I like the mountains because they make me feel small,’ Jeff says. ‘They help me sort out what’s important in life.” – Mark Obmascik, Halfway to Heaven: My White-knuckled–and Knuckleheaded–Quest for the Rocky Mountain High
This is such a great caption for mountains living.
24. “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” – Jeffrey Rasley, Bringing Progress to Paradise: What I Got from Giving to a Mountain Village in Nepal
25. “He loved mountains, or he had loved the thought of them marching on the edge of stories brought from far away; but now he was borne down by the insupportable weight of Middle-earth. He longed to shut out the immensity in a quiet room by a fire.” – J R R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
26. “Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves, and half in love with oblivion.” – Robert Macfarlane, Mountains of the Mind: A History of a Fascination
27. “Mountains, according to the angle of view, the season, the time of day, the beholder’s frame of mind, or any one thing, can effectively change their appearance. Thus, it is essential to recognize that we can never know more than one side, one small aspect of a mountain.” – Haruki Murakami, A Wild Sheep Chase
28. “Dragons have been known to have staring contests with mountains. They usually win.” – Ursula Vernon, Castle Hangnail
29. “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so… get on your way!” – Dr. Seuss
Inspirational Mountain Quotes
30. “Everybody wants to reach the peak, but there is no growth on the top of a mountain. It is in the valley that we slog through, the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life’s next peak.” – Andy Andrews
31. “Mountains are the beginning and the end of all natural scenery.” – John Ruskin (never was a truer word spoken John Ruskin!)
32. “The top of one mountain is always the bottom of another.” – Marianne Williamson
This is a great mountain caption because it is so true – unless you’re at the top of Everest!
33. “The way up to the top of the mountain is always longer than you think. Don’t fool yourself, the moment will arrive when what seemed so near is still very far.” – Paulo Coelho
34. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet; This is not done by jostling in the street.” – William Blake
35. “Mountains are only a problem when they are bigger than you. You should develop yourself so much that you become bigger than the mountains you face.” – Idowu Koyenikan
36. “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.” – John Muir
37. “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” – Sir Martin Conway
38. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
39. “I’ve realized that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.” – Andrew Garfield (I bet that was both a sobering and inspirational thought when it occurred to Andrew Garfield! How would you feel?!)
Long Mountain Quotes (for those who love prose!)
40. “When you stand at the bottom of the mountain and look up at the mountaintop, the path looks hard and stony, and the top is obscured by clouds. But when you reach the top and you look down, you realize that there are a thousand paths that could have brought you to that place.” – Roz Savage
41. “Having been bred amongst mountains I am always unhappy when in a flat country. Whenever the skirts of the horizon come on a level with myself I feel myself quite uneasy and generally have a headache.” – James Hogg
– one of the mountain life quotes which explains the deep connection one can have to the mountains of the world.
42. “The mountains were his masters. They rimmed in life. They were the cup of reality, beyond growth, beyond struggle and death. They were his absolute unity in the midst of eternal change.” – Thomas Wolfe
43. “If adventure has a final and all-embracing motive, it is surely this: we go out because it is our nature to go out, to climb mountains, and to paddle rivers, to fly to the planets and plunge into the depths of the oceans… When man ceases to do these things, he is no longer man.” – Wilfrid Noyce
(Looking for a little more sea side inspiration? Take a peek at our beautiful Ocean Quotes + Beach Quotes to help you connect with mother nature!)
44. “You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen.” – Rene Daumal
45. “There is no such sense of solitude as that which we experience upon the silent and vast elevations of great mountains. Lifted high above the level of human sounds and habitations, among the wild expanses and colossal features of Nature, we are thrilled in our loneliness with a strange fear and elation – an ascent above the reach of life’s expectations or companionship, and the tremblings of a wild and undefined misgivings.” – J. Sheridan Le Fanu
My favorite Quotes about Mountains
46. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” – T.S. Eliot
47. “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
48. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Finlay (never forget that! every mountain top is within reach – every. single. one. with patience and determination)
49. “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
50. “Stop staring at mountains. Climb them instead, yes, it’s a harder process but it will lead you to a better view.” – Unknown
51. ‘’The most dangerous thing you can do in life is play it safe.’’ – Casey Neistat
52. “Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.” –Henry David Thoreau
53. “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” – Harley King
54. “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books.” – John Lubbock
And finally, one of the most inspirational, self-aware mountain quotes of all time (if this one doesn’t get you going I don’t know what will!):
55.“It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
And that’s a wrap folks! If you love mountain quotes we have you have enjoyed my favorite inspirational mountain quotes of all time and I hope you are feeling suitably inspired by them; and maybe have even grabbed a couple for your pinterest boards for ongoing inspiration. (Scroll back up now and use the sharebar on the left if you forgot to pin your fave!)
Have you already packed your rucksack and got your hiking boots by the door? We hope so! We love to hear from our readers so let us know in the comments below which of these mountains quotes have inspired you the most and which mountain do you want to climb most of all? (and if there is a mountain or hiking related post that I haven’t included, let me know and I will add it to the post!)
Oh and if you liked this post, please share on social media: tweet, pin, flipboard or Facebook – I’d really appreciate it!
READY MORE TRAVEL INSPIRATION? YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THESE ARTICLES
- Group Tours: See more in less time – the Best Group Tours on Every Continent
- Awesome Winter Sports Destinations: The Best Places to Ski in the Northern Hemisphere
- Amazing Africa: Check out the Best Places To Visit in Africa and start exploring this incredible continent.
- Festivals: Festival Fan? You’ll love these Incredible Festivals From Around the World
- Be Prepared: The Best Carry On For Travel (tested on most airlines!) PLUS 40 Insanely Useful Backpacking Essentials to make sure you have everything you need once you’ve been inspired by our inspiration quote series!
Hi There! Thanks for reading my travel tips to the Best Mountain Quotes about travel, Mountain adventure quotes & the Ultimate list of exploring quotes to Inspire you to get out and see our Amazing Planet! I just wanted to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking a link, I may get a small commission – which is at absolutely no cost to you. If you enjoyed this article and are going to be searching for some of the things I mention anyway, I would love it if you could click through from the links above & thank you in advance! Read my full Disclosure here. And thank you for reading the MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld travel blog.
Vicki is the Lawyer turned Content Creator, Editor-in-Chief and all round Boss Lady at MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld.
She has lived and worked in 7 different countries and started the site to show everyone that it is possible to travel whilst holding down a full time job (because not everyone can – or wants to – quit and walk away from it all).
Her style of travel has always been to get the best out of a destination as a time poor traveler making the most of limited vacation days and all without breaking the bank; BUT she does know where to save and where to splurge to have the most incredible travel experiences – such as luxury hotels and over-water bungalows, safaris, spas and more(!) – where the situation calls for it.
If you want to join the work to travel revolution, follow MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram – and if you are a travel brand who would like to find out how to work with Vicki, contact her here.