Ready for a weekend in Dallas (and Fort Worth!)? Of course you are! Everyone needs a little bit of the Lone Star State in their lives every now and then! Whether you’re looking to pack everything in to one jam packed weekend, or pick your highlights from Dallas’ Things To Do, we’ve got options and ideas to suit every budget and every style of traveler. From Museums to Arbouretums, beautiful Lakes to a bit of the wild west, you can build your own itinerary to make sure you get the best from your 48 hours in Dallas. And with recommendations for where to stay and what to eat, including the best of the Dallas Craft Beer scene – we’ll have your weekend break to Dallas organized before you know it! Dallas Things To Do
Guide to 48 hours in Dallas, Texas
– Things To Do, Where To Stay & Where to Eat!
A Guest Post by Greg & Hillary Kennon from KineticKennons.com
Top Things to Do in Dallas/Fort Worth
6th floor museum – Dallas Things To Do
If you are a history nerd like me, visiting the 6th Floor Museum is a must! The museum is all about the life, death and legacy of President John F Kennedy. Additionally, Dealey Plaza, the area surrounding the museum, is very walkable and tourist friendly!
White Rock Lake– Dallas Things To Do
Complete with amazing views of Downtown Dallas, White Rock Lake is one of our favorite spots in Dallas. If you’re feeling adventurous, rent some kayaks and go explore White Rock Creek!
Dallas Arboretum– Dallas Things To Do
A list of things to do in Dallas wouldn’t be complete without the Dallas Arboretum! The Pumpkin Exhibit in the fall is one of a kind! Take a stroll around the gardens and stop and smell the roses for once! (Dallas things to do)
Tour AT&T Stadium
AT&T Stadium is proof that everything is bigger in Texas! Even if you aren’t a sports fan, touring AT&T stadium is a really neat experience! Getting a behind the scenes tour of the stadium, and what it takes to put on such large scale events is awe inspiring!
Cedar Ridge Nature reserve
Located a short drive from Downtown Dallas, hiking the Cedar Ridge Nature Trail is a must do item for nature lovers! Dallas isn’t exactly known for it’s hiking trails, but Cedar Ridge will not disappoint! Dallas things to do
George W. Bush Presidential Library
Before visiting the George W. Bush Presidential Library I had my doubts about how fun it would be. After all, I’m not exactly a museum person! However, the library is one of the coolest things we have done in the Big D! It has a large collection of President Bush’s campaign memorabilia, a 9/11 memorial, and even a replica of the Oval Office.
Fort Worth Stockyards– Dallas Things To Do
You can’t leave Texas without experiencing the true embodiment of the wild west! Check out the local rodeos, stock shows, and western wear shops. Dallas things to do
Sundance Square in Fort Worth – Dallas Things To Do
Situated in Downtown Fort Worth, Sundance Square is one of the top spots for food, nightlife, and entertainment in Dallas/Fort Worth area. From piano bars, world class shopping, and amazing restaurants, Sundance square can keep you entertained for hours!
Dallas World Aquarium– Dallas Things To Do
Not far from the 6th Floor Museum, the Dallas World Aquarium is an animal lover’s paradise! Not only does the Aquarium have marine life, but it also has monkeys, birds, reptiles, and so much more! The aquarium is a great activity regardless of your age! Dallas Things To Do
Fort Worth Zoo – Dallas Things To Do
Significantly larger than the Dallas World Aquarium, the Fort Worth Zoo consistently ranks as one of the top zoos in the nation! With a large collection of animals from all over the world, a day spent at the Fort Worth Zoo is a day well spent!
Where to Stay IN DALLAS TEXAS
HAWTHORN SUITES BY WYNDHAM (Budget Stay <$100 pn) (Where to stay in Dallas)
Rooms at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dallas Park Central come with dishwashers, microwaves and refrigerators. Each provide a DVD player, wireless internet access and a private bathroom with a hair dryer and is a 30 minute drive from the airport.
MAGNOLIA HOTEL PARK CITIES (Mid-Range Stay – $100-200 pn)
If you are looking for a hotel close to the action and at a great rate, the Magnolia Hotel is perfect for you! The first time we visited this hotel we were surprised by how nice it was at such a reasonable price! Close to downtown, uptown, and a major highway, this hotel is our number one recommendation!
OMNI DALLAS CONVENTION CENTRE (Mid-Range Stay – $100-200 per night)
In the heart of Downtown, you will get a true sense of Dallas when staying at the Omni! The Omni is known for its upscale accommodations, great location, and light show. You can’t miss it on your way into Downtown Dallas!
GAYLORD TEXAN (Luxury Stay $200+ per night) (Where to stay in Dallas)
Although the Gaylord is a little further away from the heart Dallas, it is extremely close to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The Gaylord is the most unique hotel we have visited in DFW. It gives you the feeling that everything really is bigger and better in Texas!
THE WORTHINGTON RENAISSANCE (Luxury Stay $200+ per night) (Where to stay in Dallas)
Located in Sundance Square, you will be close to shopping, restaurants, and everything that Fort Worth has to offer.
Where to eat IN DALLAS TEXAS
BREAKFAST/BRUNCH – where to eat in Dallas Fort Worth
- Mailai Kitcken – Dallas is a brunchers paradise! Thai food for breakfast/brunch may seem a little odd, but Mailai Kitchen is one of our favorite restaurants in the city. The food is great and it is in a very walkable area; making it ideal for a short stroll around Uptown after your Sunday brunch! (Located at: 3699 McKinney Ave #319, Dallas, TX 7520)
- John’s Cafe – If you’re looking for a hole in the wall spot, John’s Cafe is for you! We usually go with an omelette or the migas plate. Whatever you choose, make sure it comes with biscuits! Your taste buds will thank you! (Located at: 1733 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75206)
LUNCH – where to eat in Dallas Fort Worth
- Grub Burger Bar – Us Texans can’t resist a good burger for lunch! Grub has some of the best tasting burgers we have ever had. My suggestion is to order the barbecue sauce, bacon laden, Lockhart Legion burger. (Find them at: 4925 Greenville Ave #150, Dallas, TX 75206)
- Keller’s Drive In – You won’t find any tourist at Keller’s Drive-In. Instead, you may find some bikers and other groups of people that look like they’ve been frequenting Keller’s for over 30 years. They probably have. The hamburgers, fries, and milkshakes are amazing, but the draw of Keller’s is the unique atmosphere it has to offer. (Find them at: 6537 Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75231)
- Cindi’s New York Deli – Cindi’s was started by a hard working Vietnamese immigrant and her story is truly amazing. Cindi’s has great food and a relaxed atmosphere that brings people back year after year. Whether you are in the mood for delicious pancakes and eggs, or a New York Reuben, you are guaranteed to leave Cindi’s satisfied! (Find her at: 3565 Forest Ln, Dallas, TX 75234)
DINNER – where to eat in Dallas Fort Worth
- Joe T. Garcia’s – You can’t leave DFW without eating some Tex-Mex! Joe T. Garcias is a staple in the area! Just don’t forget to bring cash and arrive early as the wait times can get lengthy. However, any wait times are well worth it! (Located at: 2201 N Commerce St, Fort Worth, TX 76164)
- Truck Yard – Located on Lower Greenvile in Dallas, Truck Yard is too unique to miss! If you are wanting to have a good time without blowing the budget, Truck Yard is perfect for you. It is a bar that plays host to a collection of different food trucks and local musicians- all of which are delicious! (Find them at: 5624 Sears St, Dallas, TX 75206)
- Pecan Lodge – an award-winning Dallas BBQ favorite, it’s located on Main Street and the perfect place to drop in for your smoked meat hit. (Find them at: 2702 Main St, Dallas, TX 75226)
Craft Beer in Dallas in Dallas Texas
The craft beer scene is exploding in North Texas and across America. If you want an excellent beer with some good ol’e Texas folk, check out these breweries that call Dallas home!
- Deep Ellum Brewing Company – Join them every Saturday from Noon-3pm for an open house get together. Only $15 and you get 3 beers and a glass! (Find them at: 2823 St Louis St, Dallas, TX 75226)
- Community Beer Company – Dubbed the gathering place for your community, the Community Beer Taproom is a great local hangout if you love craft beer. (Find them at: 1530 Inspiration Dr #200, Dallas, TX 75207)
- Peticolas Brewing Company – A staple in the craft beer community, Peticolas Brewing Company boasts a taproom with over 16 beers on tap. They host brewery tours on the first and third Saturday of every month from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. (Find them at: 2026 Farrington St, Dallas, TX 75207)
EXTRA WAYS TO SAVE MONEY AND GET A GREAT DEAL IN DALLAS
- Groupon & Gilt City (use WELCOME20 to get 20% off your first order/purchase) have awesome local deals for Dallas and is updated all the time – from massages and beauty treatments, to dining deals and money off things to do. Check out their local deals and see where you can save some cash on things you already planned to do!
- Tour search engine Viator offers affordable organized tours to see different parts of Dallas
- TicketNetwork and SeatGeek list the best events going on in Dallas – see if there is anything special on during your trip!
So there you have it a full run-down of the Top Things To Do in Dallas and Fort Worth along with suggestions for where to stay, where to eat and where to drink! I hope you now have loads of ideas for how best to spend your 48 Hours in Dallas & Fort Worth and don’t forget to grab these everyday travel essentials before you go to help make the most of your trip!
Oh, and if you liked this post, please pin and share – I’d really appreciate it! Click the P in the share bar for full size images!
Hi There! Thanks for reading my Weekend Guide to Dallas. I just wanted to let you know that this post contains affiliate links, which help support this site at absolutely no cost to you. If you enjoyed this article and are going to be searching for some of the things I mention anyway, I would love it if you could click through from the links above. These links help me keep this site online and updated – so thank you in advance! Read my full Disclosure here.